Saturday, December 15, 2012

LISTEN CLOSELY

I really love Christmas Carols. I am not one of those "crazy people" who begin to listen to them in September. :) However around December 1st or earlier I begin to listen. This month I've played some of them through my computer almost every day. I know you are wondering so let me tell you, I do have a favourite carol: O Holy Night.
I have often requested that it be sung when I was in the role of Senior Pastor. I love the rendition by Celine Dion and the one by the Celtic Women. Jan has never told me, but she may be tired of hearing me play this lovely carol so often in December. I really, really enjoy both the words and the music.
But to my point for today's blog: we need to pay attention to the words, not just enjoy the "feeling" of these familiar carols. Many contain great theology; some emphasize hard facts; others wistful hopes. Though most were composed for one congregation, many provide very thought provoking words. An example from my favorite carol:
"Chains shall He break, for the slave is our brother, and in His name all oppression shall cease."
These are not startling words today for many of us who grew up safe in a democracy; distant from serious poverty and any form of slavery. However these words were written in another time, another century. They were written after the emancipation laws passed in Great Britain but two decades before the American Civil War.
Cantique de Noel was a Christmas poem authored in France in the mid19th century. The literal translation of the poem's lines I quoted reads something like:
He sees a brother where there was only a slave, Love unites those that iron had chained.
What a wonderful truth; true to Scripture; true to what our God wants for all peoples. Sadly still not experienced as true by so many people around the world. May God's love and our love for the Saviour born on the Holy Night move us to do our part in bringing people out of slavery: enslaved by personal sin and addiction; enslaved by deep rooted poverty; enslaved by merchants of human trafficking.


His law is love and His gospel is peace.
Chains he shall break, for the slave is our brother.
And in his name all oppression shall c
y


His law is love and His gospel is peace.
Chains he shall break, for the slave is our brother.
And in his name all oppression shall cease.
Truly He taught us to love one another,
His law is love and His gospel is peace.
Chains he shall break, for the slave is our brother.
And in his name all oppression shall cease.

Truly He taught us to love one another,
His law is love and His gospel is peace.
Chains he shall break, for the slave is our brother.
And in his name all oppression shall cease.



No comments:

Post a Comment