Monday, February 11, 2013

EVERLASTING ARMS

I was a young Bible College instructor and church planter. I had very little pastoral experience because we'd planted the church just three years before and almost everyone in our church was under the age of 40. Add to that the fact that I'd taken no pastoral courses while in seminary and had never been mentored as to the role of a pastor.
I'd been asked to candidate for the role of Senior Pastor at a church that was much larger than I could handle. (Thankfully they chose someone much older and much better equipped than me.) While I was there an experienced older pastor was hosting me and took me with him on a pastoral visit to an elderly person. While we visited, as he gave words of comfort, this pastor quoted a verse unfamiliar to me. It seemed wonderfully appropriate for the elderly person. It made a great impression on me because of the setting. Since then I've often quoted it to others as a wonderful, ancient word of comfort.
It is found at the end of Deuteronomy, as Moses is speaking words of blessing and encouragement to the twelve tribes of Israel, just before his death.
The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms. Deuteronomy 33:27
The idea of God as our refuge is quite common in the OT. However the second word picture is much less common: "underneath are the everlasting arms."
Maybe this made a special impression on me because it was spoken that day by an older pastor to an elderly frail Christian. Or maybe it impressed me because at the time we had 3 pre-school children whom I often carried in my arms. I knew my children felt absolutely secure when they were in my arms. They had absolute trust in their father's arms.
No matter why it impressed me: I trust that this verse today, encourages you. I hope when you are weary, or discouraged this ancient word picture can encourage you. For it is true, God promises to carry us through difficulty. You can rest in your Father's arms. That is a truth for believers of all centuries, no matter how old or how young.

No comments:

Post a Comment