Sunday, February 17, 2013

MEMORIZE TO MEDITATE

The Season of Lent began last Wednesday, Ash Wednesday. While we did not hold an Ash Wednesday service, I along with others in our congregation did begin to fast, as is the custom for the Season of Lent. I've done some type of fast during Lent for now, perhaps 7 or 8 years. While I came late to this practice, I've found it to be a helpful and needed additional discipline in my own spiritual life.
This year, as part of my Lent discipline, I am also memorizing a portion of Scripture. This does not come easily to me which means for me, it takes serious effort.
 If you spend much time with me, sooner or later you would hear me bemoan my sad lack of a great memory. Some people lose their good memory as they grow older. I've just never had that kind of worry - not much memory to lose. :)
Sometimes even I have been amazed at important incidents and people meaningful to me that I have forgotten. I have tried not to envy those who remember people and names easily; who can recall details of what they've read months or years ago.
I hold onto two great advantages of a bad memory: first, it is pretty easy for me to forgive and forget offences; second, I can enjoy a movie or book a second or third time quite easily.
However a bad memory is no excuse for not memorizing some Scripture. It may not stick with me long term, but at least in the short term it fills my mind with God's truth. So, in this season of Lent I am memorizing 12 verses. Some of you could do that in a day or two. It will probably take me at least a couple of weeks to get these verses word perfect.
Why do this? I have not memorized any Scripture for quite a while. For me, it is an overdue return to a good discipline. Memorizing verses greatly improves my meditation. Instead of thinking about general truths of God, recalling parts of a verse or some lines from a worship song, I can keep running these specific verses from God's Word through my mind.
When is this especially helpful? I don't normally fall asleep quickly. So in those minutes (sometimes many minutes) while I am trying to go to sleep, I can review my passage for Lent, wonderful words to consider. Great thoughts with which to end the day.
Is memorizing God's Word difficult? For some of us, it sure is. Is it worth it - of course we all know it is. The problem in my life and likely in yours? The absence of discipline, spiritual discipline. So I am thankful for Lent and enjoying the natural flow from memorization to meditation.
Yes, you can check on me in a few weeks to see if I mastered all twelve verses word perfect. Better yet, you can ask my wife. 

No comments:

Post a Comment