Friday, February 8, 2013

TREES ARE NOT ENEMIES

I am glad that people in many parts of the developed world have become much more concerned about the environment. I confess to not being very "green" myself, although I am much more aware and do a lot better than I did 25 years ago.
I realize some evangelicals have gone to the extreme in ranking environmental issues almost more important than salvation from sin. Of course we will always have extremists on both sides of most issues. The majority often profits from extremists who through their passion pull many us into a more balanced centered biblical position on any issue.
I read today the following passage over which you could skim without any thought. This direction was given by God back when the world was "under populated" and had an abundance of forests (I assume).
"When you lay siege to a city for a long time, fighting against it to capture it, do not destroy its trees by putting an ax to them, because you can eat their fruit. Do not cut them down. Are the trees people, that you should besiege them?" Deuteronomy 20:19, 20
God was concerned that humans, who had been given management responsibilities for the earth, should treat the trees with respect. They were to be used but not abused. They are our friends not our enemies (see translation of this passage in several versions). Interesting, thought provoking passage, don't you think?
I just printed nine pages on our home printer in preparation for tomorrow's sermon - but printed on both sides; so saved at lease a couple of pieces of paper. Not much I know, but as I said above, I am a little more sensitive to preserving what God has given us than I used to be.
"Thank you God for the beauty of the world you've given us. Please help us, all seven billion of us, to take better care of this great gift. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment