Wednesday, February 20, 2013

LISTEN UP

I've been reading Isaiah for the past week since I'm preaching a few sermons from Isaiah for Lent. The section, chapters 40 - 66 is filled with such wonderful theology, challenge and comfort. It is a wonder that more Christians don't read it every month - like the many who read Psalms and/or Proverbs every month.
Anyway, I was wondering this morning if there is any other chapter in the Bible that so often demands attention as Isaiah 51. Of course all authors want attention paid to what they write. Isaiah surely expects his readers to be attentive throughout the book and God who is inspiring the author certainly wants all of us to listen carefully. Yet in this chapter is, I think unique because - well let me list several brief quotes:
"Listen to me, you who pursue righteousness and who seek the Lord: Look to the rock from which you were cut ---." 51:1
"Look to Abraham, your father ---." vs. 2
"Listen to me my people, hear me, my nation ---." vs. 4
"Lift up your eyes to the heavens, look at the earth beneath ---." vs. 6
"Hear me, you who know what is right ---." vs. 7
"Awake, awake ---." vs. 9
There are several more I could list, but you see what I mean. God really wanted Israel to make sure they got His message. So in this passage, at least ten times words are used to in effect say: Listen up. Don't miss this. Pay attention. Do you copy?
And I wonder: how often (every day?) would God from His perspective, say to me, "Nelson, pay attention. You just missed an opportunity I gave you; or, my Spirit just nudged you to speak to that person and you were too preoccupied to notice; or, I wanted you to see that person's hurt and pray for them, but you were not "awake"."
I hope with each passing year I am more alert to what God is doing and saying; more attentive to others needs rather than my own; more responsive when God prompts and leads by His Spirit.
Did you really listen to what I just wrote? How awake were you when you last read Scripture? Will you pay attention to God's still, small voice as you walk through this day?
(There may be other biblical passages that demand attention as often as Isaiah 51. Maybe it just seems unique to me because a few years ago I circled in my Bible all of the above attention demanding verbs.)

No comments:

Post a Comment