Friday, March 9, 2012

BIBLICAL HEROES

Some parts of the Bible I usually read quite quickly: genealogies, description of land allotments to the twelve tribes, chapters delineating OT laws. I sometimes will even read familiar OT narratives very quickly. But when I read the narrative passages quickly, I don't feel them and I lose most of the power of the story.
When I read those familiar stories slowly - as I did this morning with the story of Gideon in Judges - I pause and marvel. I enter into the story and it grips me. I marvel at God's grace. Here God goes again, stepping in to provide special help for people who have been rejecting God and worshipping idols and living in direct disobedience. Amazing grace!
I smile at the hints of irony or humour that seem to be in the text. For example, the angel of the Lord greeting Gideon as a "mighty man of valour" while he threshes wheat in a wine press, hiding from the enemy. This "mighty man of valour" obeys God's direction but does so at night so no one will confront him. Then it appears Gideon's father has to face down the townspeople who are ready to kill Gideon for what he has done. Valour?
But what struck me again today was how some of God's people really are amazing heroes, rising above and beyond what many of us could ever imagine doing. Read slowly how God leads Gideon to prepare for battle against an enemy whose forces seem overwhelming. A military general who has never led an army before would surely want as large an army as possible. Yet Gideon trusts God as he is instructed how to reduce his military force from 32, 000 men down to 300 men. This is a singular occasion when God seems to cause decimation of the army before they even begin to march on the enemy.
I know Gideon asks for "his fleece" twice to confirm that God is with Him and ready to do miracles. Yet still; what would you have done when God says in effect: I know you are outnumbered 3 to 1, but I'd like to increase the odds against you to 300 to 1? I imagine myself in Gideon's sandals as best I can and I wonder: would I have simply quit? failed the test? asserted that I must not be hearing God correctly?
I say Gideon is indeed proven to be a "mighty man of valour" and a "mighty man of faith". A true hero. A man who provides for us a wonderful example of obedient faith.
"Thank you God for the teachings of Scripture. And thank you for showing us examples of people like us, who because of your grace and power coupled with their obedient faith, provide us with realistic, very human, yet marvellous biblical heroes."  

No comments:

Post a Comment