Wednesday, March 28, 2012

PLEASE GIVE US MORE

One more post on John 14 where I was at the end of last week's posts. Jesus responded to Peter's questions and then to the question from Thomas "how can we know the way?"
"I am the way, the truth and the life. --- If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well." A third disciple responds with a question. "Philip said, 'Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us." John 14:8
Philip has enjoyed the company of Jesus for almost three years. He has seen the miracles, observed the Lord's sinless life close up and heard his teaching. He has even heard the claims Jesus has made for himself. But now, what he wants, is "just a little more." If we could just see God it would be enough. Oh, really, is that all?
I think most of us who are believers at one time or another want just a little more. We believe and yet. Things are so difficult we need some extra assurance; we are struggling with new doubt and would like a little more proof; some friends or family are opposing our faith, and we are wavering. If God could just give us a little more.
Jesus replies (in part) to Philip, "Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'show us the Father?'" In effect he says to Philip - and to us - I am all you need. I am the way, truth and life. I am God's full manifestation in human form. I am God's full revelation - there is no more after me. I am enough!
It would be easy for us to think "Well, if I had been there to observe and experience all the apostles observed and experienced, I would not want any more." But we are just as human as they were. We humans always seem to want just a little more.
Remember that after the resurrection, Thomas needed a little more. It was not enough that the ten apostles plus other disciples had seen the Risen Christ. He needed his own experience. When Jesus appeared to Thomas, he worshipped: "My Lord and my God." "Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."
That includes you and me. We believe and we must continue to believe that Jesus Christ revealed 2000 years ago, revealed through the pages of Scripture, changing countless lives every day - this Jesus is more than enough. We really don't need anything or anyone else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment