Monday, March 5, 2012

WALKING WITH A CELEBRITY

Our daughter Jeannie, husband Chris and 11 month old Amara are visiting with us for nine days. Yesterday Jan and I with our visitors were at a large Vietnamese restaurant for lunch. To provide a break for Jeannie and Chris, mid-meal, I took Amara for a stroll through the restaurant. All of a sudden I was swarmed by all of the young female servers who wanted to kiss princess Amara's hand, cheek, hold her, get a picture with her. We had a hard time leaving the restaurant as greeters and others wanted a little touch from Amara. Funny thing, nobody paid attention to me on the way out - her Dad was holding Amara. We knew and now experienced that Vietnamese love babies - and are drawn of course to foreign babies.
In fact as we walked down one street of small stores, one woman came running out to see Amara, then ran back inside to get a camera. So this is the life of a celebrity. We will see if it happens again this afternoon when I meet up with the family.
Warmth and sun have returned to Hanoi. Today I walked the scenic last 300 meters to the church office - along Hanoi's largest lake. I watched about 15 young kayakers who were "sprinting" beside me. Suddenly a motorbike went by me with a woman shouting out across the water on a megaphone. Evidently she must be their team coach. Maybe we will get to see kayak races later this year!
Life feels a little better today with 24 degrees C., sunshine and the sound of birds coming through the open office window. (I apologize for mentioning this to anyone in Edmonton reading the blog. I heard they received half a meter of snow last week.)

No comments:

Post a Comment