Thursday, March 22, 2012

MORE EMOTION THAN I REALIZED

The text of the first six verses of John 14 are very familiar for at least a couple of reasons. Verses one to three are often quoted at Christian funerals "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms --- I am going there to prepare a place for you --- I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am."
On the other hand, John 14:6 is often quoted when a Christian is presenting the case that Jesus is the unique way to truly connect with our Creator God. "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
I have preached these verses a few times, but I am not sure if I have ever preached them within the larger context. We know that the Last Supper has just concluded and that within hours, Jesus will be arrested. His death is immanent. Jesus alerts his inner eleven disciples to this fact.
"My children, I will be with you only a little longer. --- Where I am going you cannot come." 13:34, 35 These words are immediately followed by Christ's giving the new commandment to love one another. He asserts that "By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." 13:35 Like me, you have probably spent time thinking about the implications contained in these two important verses about the importance of love.
But Peter seems to ignore them, something "more important" has grabbed his attention. Peter asks a question; then Thomas asks a question and finally Philip asks the third question. None of these questions have to do with the institution of the Lord's Supper or the giving of the great love command though it is  one of the major markers of Christian community.
Peter with the others is now really face to face with Jesus' prediction that he is going to leave them - He is going to die. Of course Jesus had predicted his death several times. But somehow now, the reality of his impending death is raising the emotional temperature.
Peter does not comment on the "new commandment". Instead he asks, "Lord where are you going?" Jesus tells Peter that he cannot follow Jesus now, but will follow later.
To which Peter replies, "Why not? I am ready to die for you!" There is strong emotion here. Peter seems to understand that a crisis is descending and death is in the air. He probably represents what the other disciples are sensing too.
Their Master is leaving them and it has at least partially dawned on them that his departure will be very soon and likely to be violent. No wonder the Lord turns to words of comfort; the familiar words of John 14.
We sometimes hear those words in the emotional setting of a funeral. For some reason, though I've read them dozens of times, I see more clearly than ever that those words were first heard by disciples who were struggling themselves with some pretty strong emotions: maybe fear, maybe sadness, maybe anxiety, maybe all of these and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment