Tuesday, March 20, 2012

FRIEND LIKE JONATHAN

The friendship of David and Jonathan (I Samuel 18 - 23) is familiar to Bible readers. It is one of the few friendships highlighted in Scripture and Jonathan's loyal friendship provides a good example for us. I was struck by one phrase this morning as I read the familiar account of David, Jonathan and the jealous King Saul.
The Hebrew phrase is most literally translated Jonathan "encouraged him in God"(NASB). Other translations read "helped him find strength in God; encouraged him to stay strong in his faith in God; gave him strength in God."
True friends are there for you when you need them. They provide a physical presence, a listening ear, an empathetic heart and encouraging words. True friends are a wonderful gift. However what Jonathan did was more: he acted as a true "believing friend". The encouragement he offered was specifically faith strengthening, truth based, and God oriented.
As a pastor I have often been in the presence of those who are mourning the loss of health or the loss of a loved one. I have heard many well meaning friends offer words of comfort and condolence that were quite weak and even false. "you will soon feel better; everything happens for  a reason; it will all work out; you will be stronger after this; I guarantee you will feel better, etc."
When I offer encouragement and comfort, can I do better than an unbelieving good friend? Do I go beyond offering a presence, an ear, empathy, comforting words? Do I encourage my believing friends to find strength in God?
Followers of Christ can do so much better. "Remember God is with you; God loves you; let the Word of God comfort you; we are praying for you; what you are experiencing reminds me of the Scripture that says ---." I have read of a Christian friend who said to one struggling with doubts during a crisis: "Its OK if your faith right now is weak. I will keep believing for both of us until you are stronger."To a friend who says "I can't even pray right now" we might say: "Its OK, Jesus understands. I will pray for both of us until your faith is stronger."
Lord, I want to be a friend like Jonathan was.

No comments:

Post a Comment