Sunday, March 25, 2012

FAITH OR FATALISM

Fatalism runs through much popular thinking, including the thinking of some Christians. By that I mean that many people seem to firmly believe: "whatever will be, will be"; "just lucky I guess"; "everything that goes around comes around"; "all things come to those who wait"; etc. That there are so many sayings like these, points to the fact that there is some truth in them.
It is true that we humans are not fully in control of our lives. We don't choose to be born, choose our parents, choose the country of our birth, choose our height, etc. The above sayings emphasize that many things outside of our sphere of control (world politics, a country's financial health, local crime to name a few) do influence our lives, sometimes in tragic ways.
So how does fatalism - "I can't control things, so I will just continue to live as is" - differ from a life of faith in the Living God? We believe God is in control. We believe He has given us freedom but that freedom has limits. We believe that for the believer He does "work all things together for good." (Romans 8:28)
First and most important, we believe there is a personal God, not an impersonal force, in control of the Universe. Second we believe this God is a God of love who wants the very best for His people and He can be trusted. Third, He is consistent in what He does. He is not irrational nor whimsical. God is consistent in His character. Fourth, God holds us responsible as good managers for what we can control.
Therefore we don't believe that things "just happen" nor do we believe that "there is nothing we can do". Rather we believe our Divine, loving Master is in control and we trust Him. I was reminded of this as I read David's affirmation while retreating from his son, Absalom, who was leading a rebellion. David is aware that while God loves him, God may choose to discipline him. So he says:
"But if he (God) says, I am not pleased with you, then I am ready; let him do to me whatever seems good to him." II Samuel 15:26
This strikes me as a wonderful statement of faith. I want to live that way. Striving to serve God well; trusting that God will take care of me; knowing that if God allows pain and difficulty to come: I am ready. Ready to accept whatever my loving Father allows to enter my life. Ready to trust God fully in the bad times as much as in the good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment