Wednesday, March 14, 2012

NOISE AND TRAFFIC

I worked at home yesterday, as I do several days a week. I had a 9:00 am appointment just a 12 minute walk away; then an 11:45 appointment just a 15 minute walk in another direction. That added up to almost an hour of walking which was needed exercise. I was feeling a little tired after the lunch meeting, not so much from the actual walking but because of the constant honking and the dodging around parked motorbikes, or making certain that the one driving on the sidewalk goes around, not through me.
In the afternoon I was just settling in at my home office desk when two or three workmen in the apartment immediately above us, started to work on something that involved an almost constant "banging" by two of them. After two hours Jan decided to go for a walk; after three hours the banging stopped.
Now I have just settled into my church office desk (actually a fold up table with a fold up chair.) I look up through the window at a neighbouring balcony about ten meters away and there is a workman making some repairs. I don't know what he is doing, but the "banging" sounds very familiar.
Oh, and I should mention that construction crews tore down 50% of the school directly below our apartment last month. Now they are reconstructing the school. Large trucks and machinery can only come down our narrow street at night, so construction goes on 24/7. With earplugs, the noise doesn't usually keep us awake.
Life is not difficult here - not nearly as difficult as in some developing countries. But it is very noisy and very busy. Therefore it can become very tiring. Fortunately, as young as we are, we don't mind it too much. :)
However the imagery of Scripture - especially of the Shepherd, sheep, pastures and quiet waters seem very far from life in Hanoi! Thankfully it is still possible to have soul peace and soul quiet as we follow our Good Shepherd.   

No comments:

Post a Comment